Sunday, February 19, 2012

Help me Deploying rdl Report

Hi

I am new to SQL Reporting Services. I have developed an rdl report in SQL Server Reporting Serices 2005. It works very fine in development environment. But now i want to include this report in an exisitng project running at our client in some remote location. This report 'll be accessed by several clients from different offices.

To view reports locally I have added myself as an administrator on the local Report Server. But how would i authecticate specific users that i want to grant access to the report. I have a database table that stores users that have access to that report.

Also how do I upload these reports with all these users settings on the client's Report Server.

Looking forward for ur good response.

Regards

Asif Hameed

This isn't a complete answer, but here are some things you need to know.

Do the clients who will be accessing reports have windows accounts on the new server in the remote location (or can they have windows accounts)? If so, you can use windows groups to give authority to different folders and reports on the Report Server.

If not, you may be looking at a more custom solution which could include custom security extensions and a front end application.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

|||

Hi

thanx for your solution. I think I must go for some custom security extensions. But could you please explain a little bit more about custom security extensions. I mean how to create and use these in my project.

Another problem is deployment of reports. I am creating reports on my local server. How do I create the setup to copy these reports to client's server, or just manual copy would solve the problem.

Regards,

Asif Hameed

|||

Regarding custom security extensions, I'm not a good resource because I haven't written one, but I'm sure someone on the board has.

Regarding deployment, you can either change your properties on your solution in visual studio to point to your client's server, and deploy or you can browse to the client's http://domain/reports interface and upload the rdl file. If you don't have remote access, you can always email the file to the client or carry it on disk to upload loacally.

Hope that helps.

|||

Well, thats a great idea to email or send the rdl files to user, but the problem is that the user is not so much technical. How could I deploy the reports to his server, while I have no remote access.

Is there any possible way that I can make a setup, like PUBLISH in rdlc reports, that the user will only need to run the setup and the report will be deployed automatically to his server?

|||

I haven't had the need to do so in the past, so I'm just speculating. I believe that you can build deployment packages if you have the Pro version of Visual Studio. I'm assuming that this would include Reporting Services projects.

In addition, there is a reporting services scripting capability so you might be able to put together a zip of files for the client to extract into a designated folder such as c:\temp and then run the script, or double-click a batch file that runs the script.

Again sorry I don't have more. I'm just telling you the routes I would explore in your situation. Someone may come along with a good answer from their experience.

Good luck.

|||Well, thanx for your effort, I ll try your solution. I think it ll work. Thanx once again.|||

I have found an other solution for deploying rdl reports using MSI. Here is the link if anyone else is facing the same problem.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bimusings/archive/2006/03/01/541599.aspx

Hope this will work

No comments:

Post a Comment