Friday, March 23, 2012

Help on Displaying Data from sqldatasource as Microsoft SQL Server (SQLClient)

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:NWHCConnectionString %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [AI_news]" OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting">
</asp:SqlDataSource>

This is my code, I have followed the wizard perfectly the way its supposed ot be, well not 100% perfectly. This is how its supposed to be. When using a XXXX.MDF file I could use the wizard and it works fine. I do not know why my above code won't work. I am connected to the database and can view code manually. but not on a aspx page.

i am using master page, now trying to add this into default.aspx

Any help will be appreciated. I am currently losing some hair.

How are you trying to display the data? Have you bound a GridView to the SqlDataSource control? If not, add this:

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="True" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"></asp:GridView>

|||

I forgot to add a few things,

I am using Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient).

with this code

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:NWHCConnectionString %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [AI_news]" OnSelecting="SqlDataSource1_Selecting">
</asp:SqlDataSource>

The code below compile fine, but doesn't show any results.

When I use Mikesdotnetting code, I receive this message.

The DataSourceID of 'GridView1' must be the ID of acontrol of type IDataSource. A control with ID 'SqlDataSource1' couldnot be found.

Lastly, I did not add anything in my webconfig file.

I will be working on this page while waiting for support.

|||

You need both on the page at the same time. The SqlDataSource only fetches the data. The GridView is what displays it.

I suggest you take the time to acquaint yourself with the basics. http://www.asp.net/learn/

Drag, drop and fingers crossed won't get you very far.

|||

What I am trying to do here is to display whatever information that is necessary to work from the database. I want to see if the data would at least work, I do not see any data displayed yet regardless how its displayed.

I will look into the tutorials


No comments:

Post a Comment