Friday, March 9, 2012

Help Needed Configuring ODBC

In the Office we have a Win2000 Server running MS SQL Server 2000. I know
the servers external IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and we have a sub-domain
set up (subname.mycompserver.com). I have a login and password into the
server as well as the SQL login and password. The firewall is open on port
1433. From my office PC, I can access SQL, using ODBC, with Access or my
Perl programs.
At home, I'm running WinXP Pro. Although it shouldn't have been necessary,
I installed MS SQL Server client. I connect to the Internet using a Comcast
cable modem and do not have a static IP address. Whenever I try to set up
ODBC to access my office's SQL server using ODBC Data Source Administrator
/ Add SQL Server, it fails with the following error message:
Connection Failed
SQL State: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 10060
[Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]Connection Open (Connect())
Connection Failed:
SQL State: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or
access denied.
Is it possible to establish this ODBC connection into SQL and, if so, what
am I doing wrong. Thanks.
Fred
Hello Fred,
The only thing I can think is that firewall at your work is blocking 1433. The Connect() message means that a TCP/IP
socket was not created. From your office's server machine go to http://aboutmyip.com and see if port is open.
Fred Goldberg wrote:

> In the Office we have a Win2000 Server running MS SQL Server 2000. I know
> the servers external IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and we have a sub-domain
> set up (subname.mycompserver.com). I have a login and password into the
> server as well as the SQL login and password. The firewall is open on port
> 1433. From my office PC, I can access SQL, using ODBC, with Access or my
> Perl programs.
> At home, I'm running WinXP Pro. Although it shouldn't have been necessary,
> I installed MS SQL Server client. I connect to the Internet using a Comcast
> cable modem and do not have a static IP address. Whenever I try to set up
> ODBC to access my office's SQL server using ODBC Data Source Administrator
> / Add SQL Server, it fails with the following error message:
> Connection Failed
> SQL State: '01000'
> SQL Server Error: 10060
> [Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]Connection Open (Connect())
> Connection Failed:
> SQL State: '08001'
> SQL Server Error: 17
> [Microsoft][ODBC Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or
> access denied.
> Is it possible to establish this ODBC connection into SQL and, if so, what
> am I doing wrong. Thanks.
> Fred
|||I truly appreciated your prompt reply to my question. Your answer
implies that this is doable.
I connected to our server using Remote Desktop, brought up IE and ran
http://aboutmyip.com. And, as you expected, Port 1433 is closed. My MIS
guys swore they opened it for me.
I'll have to get the port opened and try again. Thanks so much.
Fred
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment