Monday, March 26, 2012

Help on linked server

Hi All,
I need your expertise comments for using linked server in WAN
environment. I need to suggest it to my client.
Here is the scenario:
My client is having 20 retail shops across US. He got a Central office
located in OHIO state.
All the stores are connected through WAN.
Now we are developing a transaction system for store's. All stores are
going to use MSDE.
One Enterprise SQL server is going to be installed in central office.
In this scenario will linked server work for distributing transaction
across stores?.
For example,
The gift card transaction happened in one store should be immediately
updated (or in frequent interval)
to central server. This enables other store to pickup the transaction
on need basis.
I used linked server in LAN environment and it works. But I could not
think of WAN environment.
What ports need to be opened for these SQL transaction?
What environement is required to enable linked server (including
security)?
How do I create an environment in my Office itself, so that I will be
confirtable on suggesting it or any other way to acheive the immediate
update and retrieval (other than replication).
Please help.
With thanks,
VishHi
Your best bet would be SQL Server Replication. The central SQL Server would
pull data from the MSDE instances.
Have a look at the links off
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/technologies/replictn.mspx
Regards
--
Mike Epprecht, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Zurich, Switzerland
IM: mike@.epprecht.net
MVP Program: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/epprecht/
"Vish" <vichumca@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127131645.102228.245660@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
> I need your expertise comments for using linked server in WAN
> environment. I need to suggest it to my client.
> Here is the scenario:
> My client is having 20 retail shops across US. He got a Central office
> located in OHIO state.
> All the stores are connected through WAN.
> Now we are developing a transaction system for store's. All stores are
> going to use MSDE.
> One Enterprise SQL server is going to be installed in central office.
> In this scenario will linked server work for distributing transaction
> across stores?.
> For example,
> The gift card transaction happened in one store should be immediately
> updated (or in frequent interval)
> to central server. This enables other store to pickup the transaction
> on need basis.
> I used linked server in LAN environment and it works. But I could not
> think of WAN environment.
> What ports need to be opened for these SQL transaction?
> What environement is required to enable linked server (including
> security)?
> How do I create an environment in my Office itself, so that I will be
> confirtable on suggesting it or any other way to acheive the immediate
> update and retrieval (other than replication).
>
> Please help.
> With thanks,
> Vish
>

No comments:

Post a Comment