Monday, March 26, 2012

Help on joining tables

Hi
I need some advises on how to join several tables and/or use "nested" joins
(if such a thing exist...)
I trying to select some data which involves 5 tables. The relation is as
follows -
Table1 should be joined with table2, table3 and table 4. Then Table 3 should
be joined with Table 5.
I've tried just using a standard "select ... from table1 JOIN Table2...
JOIN Table3...JOIN Table 4....JOIN Table 5 and then my "where" clauses,
but that doesn't really work.
I think that the JOIN I'm doing with table 1 and 5 isn't correct, but how do
I tell that I wan't to join table 3 with table5.
I'd be happy if some of you can get me guided in the right direction on how
to do this, since I can't get my head around it.
In BOL it's mentioned that join expressions can be connected with AND or
with OR, but I can't find any examples on how to do it (...and also I'm not
sure if that will solve my problem...)
Regards
SteenSteen
SELECT col.... FROM Table1 INNER JOIN
Table2 ON Table1.key=Table2.key INNER JOIN
Table3 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JOIN
Table4 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JON
Table5 ON Table3.key=Table5.key
WHERE ..................
"Steen Persson" <SPE@.REMOVEdatea.dk> wrote in message
news:ewYGT%23teEHA.2044@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I need some advises on how to join several tables and/or use "nested"
joins
> (if such a thing exist...)
> I trying to select some data which involves 5 tables. The relation is as
> follows -
> Table1 should be joined with table2, table3 and table 4. Then Table 3
should
> be joined with Table 5.
> I've tried just using a standard "select ... from table1 JOIN Table2...
> JOIN Table3...JOIN Table 4....JOIN Table 5 and then my "where" clauses,
> but that doesn't really work.
> I think that the JOIN I'm doing with table 1 and 5 isn't correct, but how
do
> I tell that I wan't to join table 3 with table5.
> I'd be happy if some of you can get me guided in the right direction on
how
> to do this, since I can't get my head around it.
> In BOL it's mentioned that join expressions can be connected with AND or
> with OR, but I can't find any examples on how to do it (...and also I'm
not
> sure if that will solve my problem...)
> Regards
> Steen
>|||Sorry,should be
SELECT col.... FROM Table1 INNER JOIN
Table2 ON Table1.key=Table2.key INNER JOIN
Table3 ON Table1.key=Table3.key INNER JOIN
Table4 ON Table1.key=Table4.key INNER JON
Table5 ON Table3.key=Table5.key
WHERE ..................
"Uri Dimant" <urid@.iscar.co.il> wrote in message
news:OK5EIEueEHA.2544@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Steen
> SELECT col.... FROM Table1 INNER JOIN
> Table2 ON Table1.key=Table2.key INNER JOIN
> Table3 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JOIN
> Table4 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JON
> Table5 ON Table3.key=Table5.key
> WHERE ..................
>
> "Steen Persson" <SPE@.REMOVEdatea.dk> wrote in message
> news:ewYGT%23teEHA.2044@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Hi
> >
> > I need some advises on how to join several tables and/or use "nested"
> joins
> > (if such a thing exist...)
> >
> > I trying to select some data which involves 5 tables. The relation is as
> > follows -
> >
> > Table1 should be joined with table2, table3 and table 4. Then Table 3
> should
> > be joined with Table 5.
> >
> > I've tried just using a standard "select ... from table1 JOIN
Table2...
> > JOIN Table3...JOIN Table 4....JOIN Table 5 and then my "where"
clauses,
> > but that doesn't really work.
> >
> > I think that the JOIN I'm doing with table 1 and 5 isn't correct, but
how
> do
> > I tell that I wan't to join table 3 with table5.
> >
> > I'd be happy if some of you can get me guided in the right direction on
> how
> > to do this, since I can't get my head around it.
> > In BOL it's mentioned that join expressions can be connected with AND or
> > with OR, but I can't find any examples on how to do it (...and also I'm
> not
> > sure if that will solve my problem...)
> >
> > Regards
> > Steen
> >
> >
>|||Thanks Uri...I'll try to work on that
Regards
Steen
Uri Dimant wrote:
> Sorry,should be
> SELECT col.... FROM Table1 INNER JOIN
> Table2 ON Table1.key=Table2.key INNER JOIN
> Table3 ON Table1.key=Table3.key INNER JOIN
> Table4 ON Table1.key=Table4.key INNER JON
> Table5 ON Table3.key=Table5.key
> WHERE ..................
> "Uri Dimant" <urid@.iscar.co.il> wrote in message
> news:OK5EIEueEHA.2544@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Steen
>> SELECT col.... FROM Table1 INNER JOIN
>> Table2 ON Table1.key=Table2.key INNER JOIN
>> Table3 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JOIN
>> Table4 ON Table1.key=Table1.key INNER JON
>> Table5 ON Table3.key=Table5.key
>> WHERE ..................
>>
>> "Steen Persson" <SPE@.REMOVEdatea.dk> wrote in message
>> news:ewYGT%23teEHA.2044@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> I need some advises on how to join several tables and/or use
>> "nested" joins (if such a thing exist...)
>> I trying to select some data which involves 5 tables. The relation
>> is as follows -
>> Table1 should be joined with table2, table3 and table 4. Then Table
>> 3 should be joined with Table 5.
>> I've tried just using a standard "select ... from table1 JOIN
>> Table2... JOIN Table3...JOIN Table 4....JOIN Table 5 and then my
>> "where" clauses, but that doesn't really work.
>> I think that the JOIN I'm doing with table 1 and 5 isn't correct,
>> but how do I tell that I wan't to join table 3 with table5.
>> I'd be happy if some of you can get me guided in the right
>> direction on how to do this, since I can't get my head around it.
>> In BOL it's mentioned that join expressions can be connected with
>> AND or with OR, but I can't find any examples on how to do it
>> (...and also I'm not sure if that will solve my problem...)
>> Regards
>> Steensql

No comments:

Post a Comment