Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Help Needed

Greetings,

I have sql server 2000 sp3 on windows 2000 server. On one
of the database we have with 40 GB data. It have more than
100 GB of free space in the filegroup. I tried to shrink
that file using DBCC SHRINKFILE('FILENAME') and it gave
me following error

Server: Msg 3140, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
Could not adjust the space allocation for
file 'dbfile_Dat'.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages,
contact your system administrator.

here the space is adequate

Can anyone help me with this?
Any help would be appreciated

TIA(pankaj_wolfhunter@.yahoo.co.in) writes:
> I have sql server 2000 sp3 on windows 2000 server. On one
> of the database we have with 40 GB data. It have more than
> 100 GB of free space in the filegroup. I tried to shrink
> that file using DBCC SHRINKFILE('FILENAME') and it gave
> me following error
> Server: Msg 3140, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
> Could not adjust the space allocation for
> file 'dbfile_Dat'.
> DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages,
> contact your system administrator.

If I understand this correctly, the database file is 140 GB, of which 100 GB
is unused, and you want to shrink the file to 40 GB?

Did you try specifying a target size:

DBCC SHRINKFILE('dbfile_Dat', 42000)

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment