Wednesday, March 7, 2012

HELP- need to convert SQL 6.5 Back Up to 2000

HELP- need to convert SQL 6.5 Back Up to 2000
I have made enterprise manager back ups of two databases
on a SQL 6.5 server. The back ups are .dat files. I
want/need to convert these to SQL 2000 or SQL 7.0. I have
a SQL 2000 server. I tried to create a new database on
the SQL 2000 server and then restore the back ups to the
SQL 2000 server's new database I just created. I get an
error saying that the back up is not valid.
What is the procedure for getting this .dat 6.5 back up to
SQL 2000?
mick2767@.hotmail.comWhat you should do is to use the Upgrade Wizard... If you have the SQL 6.5
server with the dbs installed... Simply go to program files -> SQL Server
and you will find the upgrade wizard... That's the way to go.!
--
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), Charlotte, NC
www.computeredservices.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
<mick2767@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:0cc201c3adf9$da109e50$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> HELP- need to convert SQL 6.5 Back Up to 2000
> I have made enterprise manager back ups of two databases
> on a SQL 6.5 server. The back ups are .dat files. I
> want/need to convert these to SQL 2000 or SQL 7.0. I have
> a SQL 2000 server. I tried to create a new database on
> the SQL 2000 server and then restore the back ups to the
> SQL 2000 server's new database I just created. I get an
> error saying that the back up is not valid.
> What is the procedure for getting this .dat 6.5 back up to
> SQL 2000?
> mick2767@.hotmail.com|||When you do your restore, make sure that under options...Force restore
over existing database is checked. That might solve your problem.
"Wayne Snyder" <wsnyder@.ikon.com> wrote in message news:<e#z$IxfrDHA.1880@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> What you should do is to use the Upgrade Wizard... If you have the SQL 6.5
> server with the dbs installed... Simply go to program files -> SQL Server
> and you will find the upgrade wizard... That's the way to go.!
> --
> Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), Charlotte, NC
> www.computeredservices.com
> (Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
> I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
> community of SQL Server professionals.
> www.sqlpass.org
> <mick2767@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:0cc201c3adf9$da109e50$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> > HELP- need to convert SQL 6.5 Back Up to 2000
> >
> > I have made enterprise manager back ups of two databases
> > on a SQL 6.5 server. The back ups are .dat files. I
> > want/need to convert these to SQL 2000 or SQL 7.0. I have
> > a SQL 2000 server. I tried to create a new database on
> > the SQL 2000 server and then restore the back ups to the
> > SQL 2000 server's new database I just created. I get an
> > error saying that the back up is not valid.
> >
> > What is the procedure for getting this .dat 6.5 back up to
> > SQL 2000?
> >
> > mick2767@.hotmail.com|||As Wayne said in his post: you cannot restore a 6.5 database into 7.0 or 2000.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"Indigo Montoya" <Indigo_Montoya_2@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f18452ec.0311181645.5b561bc7@.posting.google.com...
> When you do your restore, make sure that under options...Force restore
> over existing database is checked. That might solve your problem.
>
> "Wayne Snyder" <wsnyder@.ikon.com> wrote in message news:<e#z$IxfrDHA.1880@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > What you should do is to use the Upgrade Wizard... If you have the SQL 6.5
> > server with the dbs installed... Simply go to program files -> SQL Server
> > and you will find the upgrade wizard... That's the way to go.!
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> > Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), Charlotte, NC
> > www.computeredservices.com
> > (Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
> >
> > I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
> > community of SQL Server professionals.
> > www.sqlpass.org
> > <mick2767@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:0cc201c3adf9$da109e50$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> > > HELP- need to convert SQL 6.5 Back Up to 2000
> > >
> > > I have made enterprise manager back ups of two databases
> > > on a SQL 6.5 server. The back ups are .dat files. I
> > > want/need to convert these to SQL 2000 or SQL 7.0. I have
> > > a SQL 2000 server. I tried to create a new database on
> > > the SQL 2000 server and then restore the back ups to the
> > > SQL 2000 server's new database I just created. I get an
> > > error saying that the back up is not valid.
> > >
> > > What is the procedure for getting this .dat 6.5 back up to
> > > SQL 2000?
> > >
> > > mick2767@.hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment