Wednesday, March 7, 2012

HELP MS Access moving to SQL and dont know how

I have been using MS Access for a long time. The last couple of months my sites have really picked up in business (good rankings) and we keep crashing the server (No sites on the server that use MS Access will run) We get the error

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider()
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
at DreamweaverCtrls.DataSet.DoInit()

Also I am finding out from some of my customers that their sites they can't use at times because of the error but the server hasn't crashed yet because others are up. Well I believe we are exceeding MS Access very badly because it crashes the server daily now and sometimes more then once a day.

So I am going to start moving my MS Access database to SQL but have NO CLUE how where to start etc or use SQL correctly. If people can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. Everything I find online is people needing help but no solutions that work for me.

My new server is a windows server running ASP.Net 2.0 and to edit my SQL I have "ASP.Net Enterprise Manager" and Plesk for the server.

1. A good book to follow and easy to follow for SQL (connections / how tos) or website

2. Good examples or book on "ASP.Net Enterprise Manager"

3. How to convert access databases into SQL easy (some have over 50,000 listings)

4. how to convert Tab files into SQL easy.

Thank you so much for any help. Also I am using Dreamweaver for most of the edditing and connections. I know its not your favorite but I don't have the time to write everything by hand and it works good for what I do on the websites.

Thanks again,

Rusty

Rusty,

To easily convert your Access tables to SQL Express, set up an ODBC System DSN for the SQL Server. Then when in Access, right click on the tables, one at a time, and choose export. From there choose the ODBC option and select the system DSN you just set up. Your tables should transfer automatically.

Of course I am assuming you have SQL Express setup already.

|||

I have it setup but I can't get it connected by dreamweaver. I get the error

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

I haven't found anything on exactly how to get it connected yet and still doing the trial and error thing.. LOL Now my access 2003 works perfect my server on the server online but no luck with SQL yet

No comments:

Post a Comment